Peak Expiratory Flow Rate: How We Measure and Why?
* Peak Expiratory Flow is measured by you, several times a week using a small pocket-sized flowmeter
* You record the number measured by this devise.
* This number shows how well you are able to exhale and tells me if we have your lung inflammation under control
* When this number starts edging down over a few days, we know its time to take action before you start to feel symptoms of chest tightness, shortness of breath or actual wheezing.
* I use Peak Expiratory Flow measurements and ACT scores in your Asthma Action Plan to help guide you in responding to changes in your lungs.
In order for you to self-manage your asthma, you need a way to detect early drops in your lung function.
Peak Expiratory Flow (PEF) is that way.
It is measured using a device held up to your lips while you forcefully exhale.
This device measures how much air is exhaled and registers this as a number for you to read from the device.
When your lungs are in good control, the number reading for your PEF will be very similar to that of a person without asthma.
When your inflammation gets out of control, the swelling in your breathing tubes blocks air from being exhaled. This results in lower numbers on your PEF device.
When this device is used daily, you will be able to detect a downward trend that is a sign of worsening inflammation days before your breathing becomes so labored that an ER trip is needed.
Peak Expiratory Flow: Let’s make it a daily measurement!
If you need a Peak Flow Meter and your pharmacy or doctor can’t help, you can order from Amazon. I have tested the Omron and found it durable, simple, compact, and affordable.
I may earn commissions for purchases made through the links below.
PEF: Omron Peak Flow Meter
- Asthma Proof Your Home: Identify the Hot Spots
- Navigating Asthmaniac.com!
- Climate Change: How It Can Affect People with Allergies and Asthma
- How Can Asthmaniac Address Your Asthma Concerns?
- High-Deductible Health Plan? Online Asthma Is Perfect!
- No Insurance? Asthmaniac Will Help You!
- Is Your Asthma e-Asthma? New Medicine!
- Asthma Follow Up Care: Why You Need It!
- NEVER run Out of Asthma Inhaler Medicine!
- Asthmaniac Uses ePrescriptions for Your Medicine!
- Asthma Management Guidelines 2020 Focused Update: What’s In It For You?
- Asthma Rescue Inhalers Are Crucial in Asthma Control!
- Do You Need an Asthma Controller Medication?
- What is an MDI Spacer and Why Do You Need One?
- Children and Asthma: Different from Adult Asthma?
- Asthma and COVID19: Breathing Easy during a Pandemic
- Peak Expiratory Flow Rate: How We Measure and Why?
- Asthma Action Plan: Personalized Just For You!
- Asthma Control Test Score: How We Use It
- Asthmaniac Blog