Asthma and COVID19: Breathing Easy during a Pandemic
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 3:47 — 5.3MB)
* Asthma is a chronic disease that places you at higher risk of serious illness with COVID19 infection.
* Keeping your asthma well controlled will give you the best protection against serious COVID19 illness.
* Controlling your COVID19 exposure should be a high priority until we have a vaccine.
Does Asthma make you more vulnerable to COVID19?
Patients with chronic disease including chronic lung disease are having much more trouble with COVID19.
Many are dying when they become infected.
To be sure, having advanced age and asthma is a very concerning combination, but even young people with asthma should be concerned.
This is the time to get serious about asthma!
Your best defense is a strong offense.
Compared to the lungs of a person without asthma, your asthma lungs experience inflammation much more easily.
This tendency toward inflammation can be controlled by inhaled steroids and in some cases, new immune modulators.
Keeping a lid on this baseline inflammation should be our top priority all the time but especially during this COVID19 pandemic.
How does the COVID19 virus interact with your asthma lungs?
When it enters your body, the COVID19 virus attaches to the lining in the back of your throat.
From there, it moves to the airways of your lungs (bronchi and bronchioles).
Once there, virus particles attach to and hijack the manufacturing processes of airway cells. The result is that these cells pump out a continuous stream of virus particles.
When your immune system spots airway cells that have been taken over by the virus, it attacks them with a vengeance! The result is inflammation.
If your airways are already experiencing out-of-control inflammation, this is a disaster!
The addition of virus invasion and immune attack blows holes in tiny blood vessels, causing the lungs to fill with blood. Airflow is blocked and then you have a life-threatening inability to breathe.
The amount of virus matters.
The more virus particles that get into your mouth, nose or eyes, the more likely you will develop a severe infection with a dangerous inflammatory reaction.
Look, it is virtually impossible for every person on the planet to completely avoid COVID19.
But, getting the smallest amount of exposure at any time should be your goal.
Washing your hands is a basic and effective way reduced the amount of virus you are handling. Here’s how to wash!
Since virus are carried the the air, it is smart to keep a distance from people who might be carrying virus. This includes people that aren’t having fever or cough at all!
Wear a face covering.
I know, this is so hard to get your mind around – like, for how long are we gonna have to do this?
Nobody can say just yet.
We just have to focus on each day, doing everything we can to keep those lungs in good working condition.
Down the road, we can hang up these designer masks, and go to crowded concerts, and, well, get back to ‘normal’.
In the mean time, let’s keep asthma under control!
Complete the subscription form on the left if you’d like to get an email when I post a new podcast and blog entry.
Thanks for learning more about asthma!
- No Insurance? Asthmaniac Will Help You!
- What Is Exercise Induced Asthma?
- What Is Eosinophilic Asthma?
- 6 Signs Your Asthma Is Getting Worse
- What Are Some Early Warning Signs of Asthma?
- Asthmaniac Blog
- How to Manage Nasal Polyps
- How to Use an Inhaler Correctly
- Tezspire for Breathing Your Best!
- Asthma Proof Your Home: Identify the Hot Spots
- Navigating Asthmaniac.com!
- Climate Change: How It Can Affect People with Allergies and Asthma
- How Can Asthmaniac Address Your Asthma Concerns?
- High-Deductible Health Plan? Online Asthma Is Perfect!
- Is Your Asthma e-Asthma? New Medicine!
- Asthma Follow Up Care: Why You Need It!
- NEVER run Out of Asthma Inhaler Medicine!
- Asthmaniac Uses ePrescriptions for Your Medicine!
- Asthma Management Guidelines 2020 Focused Update: What’s In It For You?
- Asthma Rescue Inhalers Are Crucial in Asthma Control!
No Insurance? Asthmaniac Will Help You!
No Insurance is Not a Problem at Asthmaniac! ⇨ Active asthma? Asthmaniac was made for you! Affordable $50 doctor visits ✓ State-of-the-Art Asthma Care All online! No Insurance = No Problem I don’t care that you don’t have insurance. I designed...
What Is Exercise Induced Asthma?
Do you have breathing difficulties when you exercise? Then you may have something called “exercise induced asthma”. Let's take a look at what causes this condition and what treatment options are available. What Is Exercise Induced Asthma? Exercise...
What Is Eosinophilic Asthma?
If you've never heard of “eosinophilic” asthma, you're not alone. It's rare compared to other types of asthma, but it can be severe. Asthmaniac, your online asthma doctor, can help with your diagnosis. In the meantime, here's an overview of what...
6 Signs Your Asthma Is Getting Worse
If you have asthma, you might be used to coughing and wheezing sometimes. And if you have severe asthma, you may experience breathing difficulties more often than sufferers with a milder condition. That being said, your body will give you signs if your...
What Are Some Early Warning Signs of Asthma?
Asthma can be life-threatening if it spirals out of control. But how do you detect asthma, and what are the early warning signs of an asthma attack? Below, we explain how to spot asthma in its early stages and what to do if you have an asthma attack. What...
* Asthmaniac.com is my online asthma clinic
* Asthmaniac is designed to be affordable, convenient, and reliable.
* Asthmaniac follows national quality standards developed at NIH
* Asthmaniac uses your phone to make your care convenient and engaging