Asthma and COVID19: Breathing Easy during a Pandemic
* Asthma is a chronic disease that places you at higher risk of serious illness with COVID19 infection.
* Keeping your asthma well controlled will give you the best protection against serious COVID19 illness.
* Controlling your COVID19 exposure should be a high priority until we have a vaccine.
Does Asthma make you more vulnerable to COVID19?
Patients with chronic disease including chronic lung disease are having much more trouble with COVID19.
Many are dying when they become infected.
To be sure, having advanced age and asthma is a very concerning combination, but even young people with asthma should be concerned.
This is the time to get serious about asthma!
Your best defense is a strong offense.
Compared to the lungs of a person without asthma, your asthma lungs experience inflammation much more easily.
This tendency toward inflammation can be controlled by inhaled steroids and in some cases, new immune modulators.
Keeping a lid on this baseline inflammation should be our top priority all the time but especially during this COVID19 pandemic.
How does the COVID19 virus interact with your asthma lungs?
When it enters your body, the COVID19 virus attaches to the lining in the back of your throat.
From there, it moves to the airways of your lungs (bronchi and bronchioles).
Once there, virus particles attach to and hijack the manufacturing processes of airway cells. The result is that these cells pump out a continuous stream of virus particles.
When your immune system spots airway cells that have been taken over by the virus, it attacks them with a vengeance! The result is inflammation.
If your airways are already experiencing out-of-control inflammation, this is a disaster!
The addition of virus invasion and immune attack blows holes in tiny blood vessels, causing the lungs to fill with blood. Airflow is blocked and then you have a life-threatening inability to breathe.
The amount of virus matters.
The more virus particles that get into your mouth, nose or eyes, the more likely you will develop a severe infection with a dangerous inflammatory reaction.
Look, it is virtually impossible for every person on the planet to completely avoid COVID19.
But, getting the smallest amount of exposure at any time should be your goal.
Washing your hands is a basic and effective way reduced the amount of virus you are handling. Here’s how to wash!
Since virus are carried the the air, it is smart to keep a distance from people who might be carrying virus. This includes people that aren’t having fever or cough at all!
Wear a face covering.
I know, this is so hard to get your mind around – like, for how long are we gonna have to do this?
Nobody can say just yet.
We just have to focus on each day, doing everything we can to keep those lungs in good working condition.
Down the road, we can hang up these designer masks, and go to crowded concerts, and, well, get back to ‘normal’.
In the mean time, let’s keep asthma under control!
Complete the subscription form on the left if you’d like to get an email when I post a new podcast and blog entry.
Thanks for learning more about asthma!
- Navigating Asthmaniac.com!
- How Can Asthmaniac Address Your Asthma Concerns?
- High-Deductible Health Plan? Online Asthma Is Perfect!
- No Insurance? Asthmaniac Will Help You!
- Is Your Asthma e-Asthma? New Medicine!
- Asthma Follow Up Care: Why You Need It!
- NEVER run Out of Asthma Inhaler Medicine!
- Asthmaniac Uses ePrescriptions for Your Medicine!
- Asthma Management Guidelines 2020 Focused Update: What’s In It For You?
- Asthma Rescue Inhalers Are Crucial in Asthma Control!
- Do You Need an Asthma Controller Medication?
- What is an MDI Spacer and Why Do You Need One?
- Children and Asthma: Different from Adult Asthma?
- Asthma and COVID19: Breathing Easy during a Pandemic
- Peak Expiratory Flow Rate: How We Measure and Why?
- Asthma Action Plan: Personalized Just For You!
- Asthma Control Test Score: How We Use It
- Asthmaniac Blog
- Asthma Attack Triggers: Keep a Lid On It!
- Phone Doctor Visits: They Work For Asthma Control!
Asthmaniac Is State-of-the-Art! ✓ You Need State-of-the-Art Asthma Care✘ Traditional Clinics provide inconsistent care.✘ And, they are expensive and inconvenient!🙏 Asthmaniac was made for you!💙 Affordable doctor visits✓ State-of-the-Art Asthma...
Asthma challenges for Patients Asthma as a disease is not evenly spread across the U.S. There are definitely hotspots as shown in this study: https://www.aafa.org/asthma-capitals/ Geography doesn’t change the basic problem in the lungs. How do we find out the biggest...
High Deductible? Asthmaniac Is Best Value! ✓ You have a Health Insurance Policy ✘ But, it has a high deductible 🙏 Asthmaniac was made for you! 💙 Affordable $50 doctor visits ✓ State-of-the-Art Asthma Care ✓ All online! High-Deductible...
No Insurance is Not a Problem at Asthmaniac! ⇨ Active asthma 🙏 Asthmaniac was made for you! 💙 Affordable $50 doctor visits ✓ State-of-the-Art Asthma Care 👍 All online! No Insurance = No Problem I mean it! I don’t care that you don’t have...
* e-Asthma is category of severe asthma * Patients with e-Asthma have difficulty getting asthma control with usual treatment * e-Asthma responds well to a new type of injected medicine * In such patients, this new medicine can decrease their asthma attacks...
* Follow-up Care is Essential to good asthma control. * Follow-up allows determination of asthma severity. * Other disorders that affect your breathing are detected early. * Rescue medication refills are provided * Your Asthma Action Plan is updated....