Asthma Control Test Score: How We Use It
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 2:23 — 3.4MB)
* The Asthma Control Test (ACT) is a survey that you fill out about your breathing symptoms.
* Your score on this survey will classify your asthma into 3 levels: Well Controlled, Not Well Controlled, and Poorly Controlled
* These classifications are used to determine what medications should be on your Asthma Action Plan.
* The ACT should be completed weekly to make sure we have the earliest sign that your asthma is flaring up.
* You can complete the ACT with my little helper Freddy assisting at the: Asthmaniac Asthma Control Test page.
Breathing. It can be easy. When your asthma is not controlled, it is not.
All illnesses cause changes in you how you feel. These sensations are called symptoms.
For asthma, these symptoms are things like:
- shortness of breath,
- chest tightness, and
- audible wheezing.
In a chronic illness like asthma your lungs are constantly reacting to outside forces.
Viruses and allergens, smoke, pets – all can trigger symptoms.
These symptoms can change on a daily basis.
In asthma, doctors have learned that worsening of lung function can be predicted by having patients assign a “score” to their symptoms.
This scoring should be done at regular intervals and compared to periods when you are well.
The scoring system that I use for asthma symptoms is called the Asthma Control Test (ACT).
This system uses a form that allows you to assign a number score for five categories of your symptoms.
I ask my patients to do this several times a week and I teach them how to recognize a developing problem in their lungs.
Regular symptom assessment is standard in asthma disease management.
That’s why it’s in your Asthmaniac method!
Complete the subscription form on the left if you’d like to get an email when I post a new podcast and blog entry.
Thanks for learning more about asthma!
- No Insurance? Asthmaniac Will Help You!
- What Is Exercise Induced Asthma?
- What Is Eosinophilic Asthma?
- 6 Signs Your Asthma Is Getting Worse
- What Are Some Early Warning Signs of Asthma?
- Asthmaniac Blog
- How to Manage Nasal Polyps
- How to Use an Inhaler Correctly
- Tezspire for Breathing Your Best!
- Asthma Proof Your Home: Identify the Hot Spots
- Navigating Asthmaniac.com!
- Climate Change: How It Can Affect People with Allergies and Asthma
- How Can Asthmaniac Address Your Asthma Concerns?
- High-Deductible Health Plan? Online Asthma Is Perfect!
- Is Your Asthma e-Asthma? New Medicine!
- Asthma Follow Up Care: Why You Need It!
- NEVER run Out of Asthma Inhaler Medicine!
- Asthmaniac Uses ePrescriptions for Your Medicine!
- Asthma Management Guidelines 2020 Focused Update: What’s In It For You?
- Asthma Rescue Inhalers Are Crucial in Asthma Control!
No Insurance? Asthmaniac Will Help You!
No Insurance is Not a Problem at Asthmaniac! ⇨ Active asthma? Asthmaniac was made for you! Affordable $50 doctor visits ✓ State-of-the-Art Asthma Care All online! No Insurance = No Problem I don’t care that you don’t have insurance. I designed...
What Is Exercise Induced Asthma?
Do you have breathing difficulties when you exercise? Then you may have something called “exercise induced asthma”. Let's take a look at what causes this condition and what treatment options are available. What Is Exercise Induced Asthma? Exercise...
What Is Eosinophilic Asthma?
If you've never heard of “eosinophilic” asthma, you're not alone. It's rare compared to other types of asthma, but it can be severe. Asthmaniac, your online asthma doctor, can help with your diagnosis. In the meantime, here's an overview of what...
6 Signs Your Asthma Is Getting Worse
If you have asthma, you might be used to coughing and wheezing sometimes. And if you have severe asthma, you may experience breathing difficulties more often than sufferers with a milder condition. That being said, your body will give you signs if your...
What Are Some Early Warning Signs of Asthma?
Asthma can be life-threatening if it spirals out of control. But how do you detect asthma, and what are the early warning signs of an asthma attack? Below, we explain how to spot asthma in its early stages and what to do if you have an asthma attack. What...
* Asthmaniac.com is my online asthma clinic
* Asthmaniac is designed to be affordable, convenient, and reliable.
* Asthmaniac follows national quality standards developed at NIH
* Asthmaniac uses your phone to make your care convenient and engaging