Children and Asthma: Different from Adult Asthma?
* Asthma is present in about 10% of children.
* Asthma in children is diagnosed when your child has recurring episodes of wheezing that are relieved by rescue medicine such as albuterol
* Asthma in children is treated with the same medicines and treatment plans as in adults with adjustments for their size and metabolism.
Children have a lot more wheezing than adults.
A simple upper respiratory infection or common cold causes many children to wheeze.
But, a single episode of wheezing while ill doesn’t mean a child has asthma. A key feature of asthma is the recurrence of wheezing, along with its reversibility by a bronchodilator/inhaler like albuterol.
How many children who wheeze when sick go on to have recurrent wheezing and asthma? We don’t know for sure. But we do know that infection with the respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) early in childhood is associated with the appearance of asthma.
The bottom line: asthma in children is a very big problem.
In 2016, about 6 million children were diagnosed with asthma. That makes it the most common chronic disease of childhood.
Untreated, asthma in children threatens them with death, emergency room visits, hospitalizations, and school absenteeism.
Childhood asthma is treated with the same medications and strategies as in adults. Since they are kids there are adjustments in medication dosage, and some differences in severity classification.
Unfortunately, like adults, children are often not treated according to the National standard of care.
Asthmaniac is designed to serve them as well.
At Asthmaniac, pediatric expertise is always on-deck to make sure our approach to children with asthma is aligned with National standards.
to get Asthma Updates!
Grow your asthma knowledge by getting these blog updates in your email!
- Navigating Asthmaniac.com!
- How Can Asthmaniac Address Your Asthma Concerns?
- High-Deductible Health Plan? Online Asthma Is Perfect!
- No Insurance? Asthmaniac Will Help You!
- Is Your Asthma e-Asthma? New Medicine!
- Asthma Follow Up Care: Why You Need It!
- NEVER run Out of Asthma Inhaler Medicine!
- Asthmaniac Uses ePrescriptions for Your Medicine!
- Asthma Management Guidelines 2020 Focused Update: What’s In It For You?
- Asthma Rescue Inhalers Are Crucial in Asthma Control!
- Do You Need an Asthma Controller Medication?
- What is an MDI Spacer and Why Do You Need One?
- Children and Asthma: Different from Adult Asthma?
- Asthma and COVID19: Breathing Easy during a Pandemic
- Peak Expiratory Flow Rate: How We Measure and Why?
- Asthma Action Plan: Personalized Just For You!
- Asthma Control Test Score: How We Use It
- Asthma Facts
- Asthma Attack Triggers: Keep a Lid On It!
- Phone Doctor Visits: They Work For Asthma Control!
Asthmaniac Is State-of-the-Art! ✓ You Need State-of-the-Art Asthma Care✘ Traditional Clinics provide inconsistent care.✘ And, they are expensive and inconvenient!🙏 Asthmaniac was made for you!💙 Affordable doctor visits✓ State-of-the-Art Asthma...
Asthma challenges for Patients Asthma as a disease is not evenly spread across the U.S. There are definitely hotspots as shown in this study: https://www.aafa.org/asthma-capitals/ Geography doesn’t change the basic problem in the lungs. How do we find out the biggest...
High Deductible? Asthmaniac Is Best Value! ✓ You have a Health Insurance Policy ✘ But, it has a high deductible 🙏 Asthmaniac was made for you! 💙 Affordable $50 doctor visits ✓ State-of-the-Art Asthma Care ✓ All online! High-Deductible...
No Insurance is Not a Problem at Asthmaniac! ⇨ Active asthma 🙏 Asthmaniac was made for you! 💙 Affordable $50 doctor visits ✓ State-of-the-Art Asthma Care 👍 All online! No Insurance = No Problem I mean it! I don’t care that you don’t have...
* e-Asthma is category of severe asthma * Patients with e-Asthma have difficulty getting asthma control with usual treatment * e-Asthma responds well to a new type of injected medicine * In such patients, this new medicine can decrease their asthma attacks...
* Follow-up Care is Essential to good asthma control. * Follow-up allows determination of asthma severity. * Other disorders that affect your breathing are detected early. * Rescue medication refills are provided * Your Asthma Action Plan is updated....